Sunday, August 19, 2012

Spinach, Ricotta & Feta Tart - My Style Spanakopita

  • Hey guys hope you're all doing well wherever you are (FYI I'm freezing and trying to stop my hands from shaking as I bang on the keyboard)......anyhoo moving right along. So I've gone through a recent period of creativity in the kitchen (trust me it's been a while) and after being inundated by recipe requests on Facebook I've decided to post some of the recipes I've been trialling, discovering and rediscovering. 
    I started my recipe section on the blog a while ago (after all Cooking in Choos is all about food and if I'm not posting the odd recipe up here then how is it relevant) and wasn't sure if it was being read or if anyone even cared so I stopped. I then reverted back to mainly reviews when I was out an about but turns out you do like them after all and so I'm bringing them back. 

    First up my spinach, ricotta & fetta pie also known as My Style Spanakopita. Anyone who knows me, knows I own a gazillion (well maybe not a gazillion but a few) cookbooks and refer to them quite often. I tend to look up recipes and change them around a bit to suit my style of cooking, taste-buds and lifestyle.
    So here it is My Style Spanakopita, a dish so quick, easy and delicious it's perfect for a weeknight dinner - bon appetit x
    Ingredients (serves 6)




  1. 1/4 olive oil
  2. 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  3. 250g feta cheese, crumbled
  4. 250g full-fat ricotta cheese
  5. 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  6. Salt and pepper to taste
  7. 1 sheet puff pastry (NOTE: you can use 12 sheets of filo if you like - this is traditional to Spanakopita, I use puff and make it more like a tart)
  8. 60g butter, melted

          • Method




          1. Heat oil in a frypan and add onion. Cook for 1 minute until softened, then add spinach  cook, stirring, on low heat until spinach has wilted. Drain in a colander, cool and then chop. Combine spinach and onion with cheeses, egg, salt and pepper.
          2. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush baking dish (see below for style of dish) with butter. Lay sheet of puff pastry on base and sides and brush with butter. Spread cheese mixture over top. Trim excess pastry.
          3. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.

          Tah-dah -My style Spanakopita


          No comments:

          Post a Comment

          LinkWithin

          Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...