Friday, November 26, 2010

The Big O


Those who know me, know how much I love, love, love Oprah Winfrey, and no don't worry I'm not going to rant and rave about how much I would have loved to have won those tickets to her December shows at the Opera House......but hey Miss O if you read this - you and me, chillaxing at The Ivy - can you see it - I can!!!
Anyhoo, you get the picture, I love her (I mean who asks their girlfriends to buy Oprah's 20th Anniversary DVD special for her 30th bday- me that's who!) and everything she stands for and just like the gazillions of followers I often find myself morphing into a version of her.
HUH I hear you say, OK let me explain. Before the Big O became the Big O, there was Donahue and Rikki Lake (for the Gen YĆ©rs reading, google them, they were huge in 90s). Phil Donahue was known for his tough talking, no-holds-barred debates and really set the benchmark for the whole talk show circle. Rikki Lake on the other hand was better known for her catch-cry Go Rikki, Go Rikki as well as her weight-loss, weight-gain trials and tribulations (ala Miss O).

Again I digress, my point is while both of these television personalities had their place on day-time TV neither of them (or those who have come after) had the influential power of the Divine Miss O. I often find myself (just like the other gazillion) going out and buying books from the Oprah Book Club (studious Oprah), taking on the '"don't eat anything after 7pm diet" (hungry Oprah) and sponsoring a woman from the Democratic Republic of Congo (philanthropic Oprah).
It doesn't end there either a lot of my vocab is Oprahphied too. I often hear myself asking - What do you know for certain, while having an A-HA moment, conducting a Life Makeover all while wearing my "I'm an Obama Mama" tee - see CRAZY!!!
The point is....well there really is no point - I just think she is wonderful and someone I aspire to. And hey, she aint that bad (for all you haters out there tsk tsk), I could do a hell of a lot worse...Just think if we all took a leaf out of her book, what a better place the world would be.....ahhhh OK, bare with me while I jump off my soap box - that's better!!!
OH and Oprah if you do happen to read this, two tix to the Sydney show would not go astray - love ya - PEACE!
Til next time Belle xo





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...