Sunday, March 25, 2012

Look Good....Feel Better - Why I'll continue to raise money for Breast Cancer Research

A few weeks ago I was honoured to attend a Look Good Feel Better workshop at the Joondalup Health Campus with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. Regular readers of my blog would know late last year my MIL, Anna-Rosaria was diagnosed with breast cancer for a second time (Read her story here)and through it all - the really sick days, the loss of hair, the down days she has been a tower-of-strength. For us, for everyone - especially herself. 

With chemo over and radiation therapy underway I decided to book her in to one of the workshops held by the amazing people at Look Good Feel Better - it was a wonderful, eye-opening experience. The minute we walked in the door we knew we were going to be well looked after. We were shown to our seats and offered tea & coffee, while my MIL was taken to her pampering station, a table filled with DIOR, Estee Lauder, MAC and other beauty products (Maureen her personal make-up artist whispered in her ear that none of the products were for her daughters - they were all hers!!!).

The 2.5hour workshop, which incidentally had 15 participants - 10 of which were under 50, showed the women how to apply make-up when undergoing chemo and radiation therapy as well offered tips on what wigs, hats and scarves are available and how to wear them. 

I found the workshop inspiring, fascinating and so uplifting and I was not the only one, with many of the women bouncing out door with their new look ready to take on the world - take that Cancer! 

Look Good…Feel Better is a free community service program dedicated to helping Australians cope with the appearance related side-effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy such as hair loss and changes to the skin. Their aim is to help cancer patients manage these side-effects and to help restore their appearance and self image and I could not recommend this workshop enough.
If you or someone else you know is undergoing treatment for cancer, I urge you to experience the transformation for yourself and Register today . 
On another note - my sister-in-law and I will be holding a cocktail fundraiser in honour of my mother-in-law and all the women and men who have been touched by this disease. To find out more or to donate visit April in Paris or email me HERE
Here are some pictures of what happened on the day:

First step cleansing 

Sound advice from WA coordinator Linda Hunter

Maureen my MIL personal make-up artist & an absolute treasure
Applying her eye-shadow

LGFB team

Tah-dah - the end product. My MIL with the LGFB team

Please support our special night - contact me for more details

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...